1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or Hen? Can't tell :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NicChicks2013, Nov 3, 2013.

1. NicChicks2013

NicChicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Galloway, NJ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is my sweet chicken's name Sugar or SugaRoo? I did see baby spurs starting, yet I read hen too, can have spurs. She does have these long pointy feathers sprouting..I just can't tell [​IMG] Help me give a name

[​IMG]

2. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi now I am not positive by just looking at the picture but I have two roosters. They usually have large combs and wattles, they are also usually larger than the hens, Now about the spurs hens sometimes have small stubs whill the roosters are usually about a half inch long and when they turn about a year old the spurs will start to grow out and the usually start to crow around the time the hens start to lay when they first start to crow they kinda sound like they are being strangled. I hope this helps.

3. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh and I forgot one thing The roosters tails usually grow real long and curve

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is she? Its difficult to tell from the photos, but looks like a hen to me.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

6. NicChicks2013

Sep 1, 2013
    Galloway, NJ
    About 5 months [​IMG]

7. NicChicks2013

Sep 1, 2013
    Galloway, NJ
    Farmer said was hard to sex this one. Something about maturing slower.

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x3, roosters usually are lighter and she doesn't have a big red comb, Cochins do mature slower than most breeds. Sugar is a cute name I don't hear it very often, I had a Red Star named Sugar who was taken away by a fox. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  9. NicChicks2013

Sep 1, 2013
    Galloway, NJ
    Thanks .. Sorry to hear about your Sugar. Is nice name, she is so sweet so only name for her is Sugar. Guess she just getting new feathers and fluffing up. She does look different than other hens, so throws me off. If she was a he..could be a really sweet roo [​IMG]

10. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    That looks like my barred cochin pullet! Except yours is a month older.
    This was our partridge cochin cockerel several weeks ago, he already had saddle, hackle, and shining tail feathers. He also had a larger comb than yours and he's only 4 months old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by