Rooster or Hen? Delaware chicks at 5 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5BerryFarm, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 5BerryFarm

5BerryFarm New Egg

Apr 25, 2011
    I have two chicks that are 5 weeks old. I am fairly new to chickens and want to make sure I am getting these right. Let me know if the photos are clear enough. I can always take more~ His comb is redder and a bit taller and he has darker speckles around his neck and down his back. He also seems to want to stand much taller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG]

The one on the right looks like a roo, definitely. Speckledhen is the expert though. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks male, but a shot of his back and tail would clinch the deal for me. The smut down the back is usually a male trait in the Delawares.

4. Upcycled

Upcycled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    I have 20 week Delawares. The one on the left looks like my hens. My money says your Roo is on the RIGHT. If you have two that are beginning to look dissimilar, the big tell is the stretching up to stand tall thing you describe. That pretty much works with *most* breeds.

But what do I know? At 19 (!) weeks, my "surprise chick" from McMurray, "Lacy", a Lace Winged Wyndotte, suddenly stretched **her** neck up ................AND CROWED!!

yeeeeeeah...

I re-named HIM, "CHAZ".

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 5BerryFarm

5BerryFarm New Egg

Apr 25, 2011
    Thank you for the replies!

7. claraclucks