Rooster or hen? Have sexually confused chicken?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SDuhachek, Mar 19, 2017.

1. SDuhachek

SDuhachek New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Ewing Nebraska
    Ok I'm not sure what I have here but I do know all my chickens are barred rocks. Now we have 19 chickens and get 18 eggs. The one I'm asking this question about has a big come that is bright red ( like a rooster) but as far as looks and size looks like the hens. Get agressive when handling the other chickens but has never crowed at all. They are all just about a year old and I thought I would've seen more pronounced signs if it was a rooster. So do I have a rooster or a hen?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Need a picture of him/ her

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Do you have a photo? At one year of age, you almost certainly do not have a bird which is genetically male, or you have been seeing crowing, mating, and very obvious cockbird characteristics for about six months now.

With that said, you may just have a bird with a hormone imbalance. Females who have hormone imbalances can take on male characteristics, ranging from slight changes like a bossier attitude and slightly larger comb to full-on male feathering, crowing, and mounting behavior.

Also, if you have 19 chickens and are getting 18 eggs (in a day I assume), your birds are doing some very impressive work. In a flock of that size, to have every single bird lay on the same day on any given day is quite unlikely. Almost no hen will lay every single day of the week.

4. SDuhachek

SDuhachek New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Ewing Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    Here he/ she is the one in back

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. SDuhachek

SDuhachek New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Ewing Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    Better pic of the comb

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That bird is certainly female. Although I agree her comb may be slightly larger than average, she appears normal. She may just be a little bit of a butch hen. They happen every so often.

7. SDuhachek

SDuhachek New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Ewing Nebraska
    Also this one is way darker than the others. And has a blue hue on the feathers

8. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Hen

9. SDuhachek

SDuhachek New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Ewing Nebraska
    Yes 18 eggs everyday all week long. I have dozens of eggs coming out my ears!I have no idea what I'm doing right or wrong to get everybody to lay except the one in question. How would I get the hormone imbalance fixed in the chicken?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  10. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    She may be laying, but chickens can't lay everyday without taking a break sometimes. So with 19 chickens, 18 per day is really good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by