ROOSTER OR HEN? How can I tell at a month of age

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babychickfarmer, Apr 2, 2007.

1. We got our chickens sexed when we first got them and and now they are a month old. We wanted all laying hens but there's this one..it's name is Boba..I think it might be a rooster. Everything is different about it. personallity, its crazy (hence the name. it means crazy in portagese) the color of it's feathers and the size. Is there anyway I can tell if it is a rooster or a hen or do I have to wait till it grows up?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

What breed is it? That matters when trying to sex chicks, sometimes. And if you could post a picture, that would help us help you.

3. I will be able to post a picture but not tonight. It will have to be tommorow. and I don't think that i can tell u what breed it is. We got a mix of a couple. It was black as a baby but now as its growing its getting brown and red feathers. It;s very bright and beautyful.

4. [​IMG]

This is it...now that I look at it I think its a hen but it is so much bigger and so different so maybe I'm wrong. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Well, right now, in that photo, it looks like a pullet, but maybe if you're still not sure in a couple of weeks, post an updated picture.

6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Songster

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I think It looks like a pullet.

7. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    My pullet at about 6 weeks looks like your chick. So would say pullet too.

8. What does Pullet mean???[​IMG]

9. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Pullet is a hen or female.

10. OH Ok thats what I thought but I wasn't sure.. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: