Rooster or hen need advise

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mchambers, Feb 24, 2017.

1. mchambers

mchambers New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    I have a chicken that I can't tell if it a hen or rooster they are less than a yr old I think it's a golden comet but not sure it keeps pecking my other birds up and I've dusted them for mits so any help would be grateful thank you [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG]! Looks like a pullet to me. There are a number or possible reasons she's pecking others in your flock - this thread may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/536281/hens-pecking-each-other.

1 person likes this.
  3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    looks like a pullet (young female)
    may be trying to establish 'pecking order'
    do you have a rooster?
    if there is no rooster she may be taking on some rooster related jobs, like protection and keeping order

1 person likes this.
  4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi. This bird looks like a female. I have one Exactly like her and I can tell you, mine is bossy! More accurately is higher up on the pecking order. What looks like "being mean" or "bossy " is sometimes letting the others know where she stands in the pecking order. They will challenge her, but she secures her place by pecking and pushing back.if you have a rooster he usually makes sure the squabbles of the hens don't get too out of hand. Out of hand would be drawing blood or seriously hurting one another. Its rare that they do but it can happen . Drawing blood In my opinion goes beyond regular pecking order stuff so watch for that.once blood is drawn the usually all will attack. Hope this helps.mine is a great layer so you can look forward to that! Best wishes.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Pullet. Some hens are very pecky and damaging to other birds.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pecky pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by