Rooster or hen or eggs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ichihuahua, Jan 21, 2016.

1. ichihuahua

ichihuahua New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Santa Rosa, CA
    [​IMG]
    One of my hens has had her comb grow and turn very red. Both girls were pullets this past fall when I got them. Now I'm not sure if I should be expecting eggs for the first time or that my hen is a rooster. It is the dark one in the back of picture. Her comb looked like the white hen until about 3 days ago

2. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    It's hard to tell from the pic- but the dark one looks like a hen close to laying- I would watch for eggs soon.

3. ichihuahua

ichihuahua New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Thank you for the quick response. We hope to get our first eggs soon. New to having chickens. How long do you think it will be. No squatting yet.

4. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    Some hens don't squat- but watch for the bird to be investigating nest boxes or quiet corners. Some of my hens were red for a month before laying, others a week. How old are your chickens?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. ichihuahua

ichihuahua New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Thats the big question... Got them as "pullets" from feed store early last October. They have grown considerably and now look like adults. I think they must have been spring chicks. Feed store did not know. Will stand by and plan for omlettes at some point!!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Pullet

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by