Rooster or Hen? -Photo Update on my little Squirt

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SarniaTricia, Jul 31, 2011.

1. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a mixed coop of ages and breeds.
    I have one little (silkie?) who has such a different personality, I think she might be a he.
    Does anyone know just looking at her?(him?)
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    July 24th,2011

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    that is a barred rock...it could b crossd with a silkie. If silkie it should have 5 toes and feathered legs. I can't tell from the pics. If it is not crossed and is a barred rock, my girlies started dveloping their combs and wattles pretty early. One even quicker than the other. I would give up home yet that it's a girl. Hope that helps!

They are about 4 weeks old here.

[​IMG]

Here is 1 of them at about 13 weeks.

[​IMG]

3. SarniaTricia

She (He) does have the six silkie toes.
    I know the roo from the place I got her was a Silkie and I know they had a BR.
    Very likely a cross.
    I will just wait and see.
    Very effectionate and brave.
    Roosts with the Big girls.
    Not afraid of much except our Queen Hen. (BR Billy, seen here with the Henriettas, AKA The Big Girls)
    [​IMG]

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    OH WOW!! I have never seen that cross b4! U will have to post pics as she gets bigger! Both of mine are hens and were pretty docile towards the others. I have 28 chicks that have all been raised together. In the last few days one of my barred rocks has started to b a bit more aggressive and took a position on the top roost 2 nights ago. I'm waiting to see if this lasts! LOL

5. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I love the cross! That little head pouf is so cute! [​IMG]

It's hard to tell gender considering, as others have said, that the BR hens get their crowns fairly early. It's the wattles that make me think it could be a roo. They're quite red and large for a hen of that age (I'm guessing she/he isn't older than 4 months).

6. SarniaTricia

If I were to guess, I would say Squirt is only 6 weeks. She may be a cross of more than 2 breeds.
    [​IMG]

7. SarniaTricia

Ok, here s\\he is one week later..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aug 1st, 2011

Any thoughts on if She is a He?
    No crowing yet and s/he is about 7 weeks?

thanks

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    Comb looks a bit high and red.. may be a cockerel (looks about 5-6 weeks). That would be my guess... but gender is always a bit more difficult to tell when the chick is a cross (looks like an extra fuzzy Barred Rock!). You should know for sure in a week or two.
    Cute little birdie... whatever he/she might be!

9. SarniaTricia

Ok Here is my weekly Squirt update.
    I am more certain I have a Roo.
    S/He is more agressive than the other girls, but it might be because s/he is the smallest and has to defend his/her self more than the others.

[​IMG]
    Aug 8th, 2011

What do you think? rooster or hen??

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    I believe that when you breed a barred rock hen to a solid colored rooster, the offspring are sex-linked. The only barred offspring would be roos. The pullets are solid colored. I've withnessed this in my own flock of EE's - barred rock hen brd to EE roo and the boys are barred, girls are not. So if that holds true with the silkie genes in there, then you little one should be a roo.

Besides.......he/she is looking pretty rooish to me anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by