Rooster or Hen? Please help :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by larezio, Aug 21, 2014.

1. larezio

larezio New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Adelaide
    Hi,

This is my first thread, we have got our first 2 chickens and just wondering if anyone can tell if either is going to be a rooster, they are the best of friends, can't be without each other, but we are not allowed roosters where we live so I'm hoping they are both hens, for their sake as much as ours!

Apparently the black one is an Australorp and the Whitish one is a Lohmon - which I hear are both good for laying eggs, so fingers crossed. They are both 4-5 weeks old now.

Let me know what you think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Never heard of Lohman??? But it (the little white one) looks like a cockerel, based solely on how distinct and red the comb/wattles are at this young age. The aust. I would think is a pullet. But give them both time...you should know for sure by 8 weeks or so.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Do you perhaps mean a Lohmann? If so, that isn't really a breed, but a "brand" - there are Lohmann's brown, Lohmann's white, etc

4. larezio

larezio New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Adelaide
    Oh ok, that was my concern as well with the white one, it's my daughters favourite so she will be heart broken if we have to take it back...but not much else we can do but wait, like you said.

The form I was given about the chicks when we got them says "Lohmons" I'm not sure what that means really, but yes it says they can be pale yellow or caramel (with or without stripes).

Thanks! :)

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The white one is probably a cockerel, but the black one is looking like a pullet.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    White one is almost certainly a cockerel, but the black bird is a pullet.

7. larezio

larezio New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Adelaide
    Thanks guys :)

Will start preparing my daughter so she doesn't get too attached...if that's possible!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Such a pretty little thing too, so that's too bad you can't keep males...

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    If the crowing is the only issue, check out a 'no crow collar'. There is a few threads in BYC about them and a FB page :) as far as I heard is that they work

10. larezio

larezio New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Adelaide
    Sure is teach1rus. I have explained to her and she says she doesn't mind if 'she' is a rooster...but we'll see. Thanks Peep-Chicken, I will definitely research it a bit more and look into those collars :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by