Rooster or Hen? RIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerCK

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
I have a RIR that we always thought was a hen until recently. "She" has clearly outgrown ALL other hens even older than herself. She hasn't crowed but has been seen mounting our new hen and constantly picks on the other hens. She has some traits of a
rooster but we just need confirmation

How old is e'?
He is a cockerel!!

Last edited:
that is in no doubt at all a rooster. you can tell by his saddles and hackles that look just like your roosters in the background may i ask why you thought he was a hen with those saddles and hackles as only roosters have long slender pointed hackles. there is also his 2 toned coloring.

he probably has not crowed because of that other rooster if you were to put him in his own pen with his own ladies he would start crowing probably asap (like right when you put him in there to a day or 2)

Last edited:
that is in no doubt at all a rooster. you can tell by his saddles and hackles that look just like your roosters in the background may i ask why you thought he was a hen with those saddles and hackles as only roosters have long slender pointed hackles. there is also his 2 toned coloring.

he probably has not crowed because of that other rooster if you were to put him in his own pen with his own ladies he would start crowing probably asap (like right when you put him in there to a day or 2)
Oh yeah the other rooster is definitely dominating him in that run at the moment, give him some girls and his own run and he will be much happier.

Ok I was 99.9% sure he was a rooster. I'm kind of new to chickens so I just wanted to be sure. Also, what's a cockerel and the differences between them and roosters?

Oh and he is about 5 1/2 to 6 months old. We have another rooster who is the same age and is crowing already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom