Rooster or Hen, Silver Laced Wyandotte or Plymouth Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fouramens, Jun 29, 2010.

1. fouramens

fouramens New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    HI,

I am needing help!! I inherited a coop and a friend gave me three "hens". I was told they were a Silver Laced Wyandotte and Two Rhode Island Reds. They are approximately 10-12 weeks old. "Roberta" started honking last week and crowing yesterday. I read that when there a very few chickens and no roosters, the dominant hen can sometimes crow. Am I in denial??
    I also think by all the photo's I have seen that "she" is a Barred Rock, although it has white legs. ??

I am really enjoying these guys, but won't be able to keep a rooster. Help!!

Thanks so much!
    Karen

2. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can't help out, sorry. But they sure are pretty [​IMG]

3. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    That sounds really weird. Looks like a hen, but IS IT? Not really a crow sound that I have heard. Will check back to hear what the pros say.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    If that Barred Rock is 12 weeks old.. You have VERY MUCH a boy! My Barred pullet is 13 weeks old and this is her now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred Rocks don't have white legs though. They have yellow with sometimes a dark wash on the front. Hopefully somebody will come along with a breed suggestion regarding the white legs..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  5. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Sorry but You have a cute Barred Rock Roo...and he is learning to crow.

6. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Definently NOT a wyandotte.

The white legs make me think it's a Cuckoo Maran and it's definently learning to crow so i go with rooster.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I agree on both counts. The coloring and start of boyish tail feathers definitely say boy.

8. fouramens

fouramens New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks so much for your input!

My question now is, if it is a rooster, at what age do they start looking to become men? I may not be able to find a home for him very quickly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by