rooster or hen? spurs or 5th toe? help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Spring Chook, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    Hi chicken experts. I need your help again. I have two 7 week old chickens whom I had presumed were roosters due to prominent spurs. But they havent been acting like boys and do not have red or pink combs yet. SO I'm now thinking are the spurs actually 5th toes and are they pullets afterall. I'm not sure of their breed as they came from a bunch of eggs I got from a neighbour. Daddy was definitely a Buff Oprington (though not pure) but mums could have been ameraucana, scilian buttercup, brahma, barred rock, wynadotte. thanks

Chicken 1a
    [​IMG]
    Chicken 1b
    [​IMG]
    CHicken 1c
    [​IMG]

Chicken 2a
    [​IMG]
    chicken 2b
    [​IMG]

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    The do both look like pullets, as far as I can tell it looks like 5th toes as well, easy way to tell is do they have toe nails? Also spurs don't start growing on roosters until they are much older in age. Looks like they could be possible Salmon Favorelle crosses or Dorking crosses?

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Some breeds of chickens can grow spurs to.[​IMG]

4. Spring Chook

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    yes, they have toe nails! this is great news, I really need some more girls. lets hope they do turn out to be pullets.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those are toes, not spurs. Spurs grow higher up the leg. Your second bird should be the brahma mix, not sure on the first one, but I am thinking they're both pullets.

6. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Quote:X2

I believe chicken #1 may be an orpington crossed with an ameraucana. It looks like it has a beard.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I would say that is a pullet with five toes! [​IMG]

8. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Wow 5 toes [​IMG] Looks like their papa BO

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Those there are a cute couple of barnyard cross hens. I'd say probably Salmon Faverolle with a Buff Orp. The Faverolle would explain the toes and the muff.

10. Spring Chook

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    well that is a relief. These 2 have 3 siblings and at least one of those is defintely a roo so I was thinking I was going to be lumbered with at least 3 roosters and only 1 pullet. Now it looks like I have at least 3 pullets. Thanks every one. I;ve had a lot of chickens but the 5 toe thing is new to me. now I know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by