Rooster or hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SFVN, Sep 27, 2015.

1. SFVN

SFVN New Egg

Sep 27, 2015
    We got 7 baby chicks in mid May as our first experience of raising chicken. So far three of them were roosters and we gave them some ones for free. Now we just have 4 chicken (2 Light Brahmas and 2 Americaunas) that are 18 weeks now. Our kids are concerned that we come up with all roosters at the end. Could someone kindly help us from the photos posted which one looks like rooster or how we can make sure which one is hen.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    First [​IMG]
    I am not an expert, but my americanas looked like yours,( I actually had EE, ) and they were hens.
    WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

I don't own any roosters so lets see what others think. [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd guess that the first 2 are pullets and the last 2 are cockerels....just by comb color and saddle feathers on the 4th.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The 2 Easter Eggers are female, the 2 light brahmas are male.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The Light Brahmas are roosters.

6. feather13

feather13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    I'm no expert, but the light brahmas look just like my light brahma cockerel. How do yours act? Mine is five months old and very skittish, but so far non-aggressive.

7. Chicken Strut

Chicken Strut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2015
    Southern Vermont
    Sorry, but I believe your light brahmas are cockerels. My light brahma's comb and wattle development looked like this at 20 weeks, two weeks older than your chickens.

[​IMG]

Your other two (I believe they are Easter Eggers - I have two of those, too) look like pullets to me. I wish you had gotten more layers out of your original seven chicks!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    this.

9. Redeemed

Redeemed Chillin' With My Peeps

The last two I believe are either Marans or Brahmas and are hens The meck feathers are blunted for roosters and do look very much like my Light Bramas, however I have some Marans that look like them too. They have a specific name in color but at the moment I do not remember it
    Because of the comb I would guess that the first one is an Amercannas or EE. The Second ,again because of the comb I would guess most likely to be the same but the comb is too young to be sure. The combs of the Amercannas and the Brahamas are the same only the Bramahas have feathered legs and your do not.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The last two birds have pea combs and yellow skin. That rules out Marans. They both have obvious saddle feathers, that rules out hen. If you have Marans with pea combs and yellow skin, you don't really have Marans, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by