Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emanon, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Rooster

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Hen

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. emanon

emanon New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    I am a complete novice when it comes to chickens.
    I brought 3 chicks from a breeder that assured me that the chicks had been vent sexed to be hens but im not 100% convinced the black one is.

I have googled and it has so many characteristist that a hen has but also a rooster......

SO confused.

Here is a little back ground.

Brought them at 3-5 days old. 2 have been laying eggs for over a month now but not the black one. The black one also crows in the mornings.

Day I brought them
    [​IMG]

Black one at 1 month
    [​IMG]

White at 1 month
    [​IMG]

Red at 1 month
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your birds are all lovely hens.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm the odd one out. By the huge comb & wattles and fact that you said it crows in the morning, I'm gonna say rooster.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

the black bird is a hen, but I'm thinking she may have ovarian damage or something like that. The large comb and wattles are rooster-ish, add in the crowing and the non-laying and I think she's not getting enough female hormones. Not sure she'll ever be a productive layer for you, so it's your call to keep her or cull her.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Your black bird is a hormonally imbalanced hen. To give a short lesson about chicken physiology; A hen has two sex organs. One of them is an ovary. One is indeterminate, as it doesn't grow into either an ovary or a teste - unless the original ovary is damaged, by a tumor, cancer, etc. Now, the second organ, once growing, should become an ovary. However, sometimes the hen's body will mess up, and the organ will become a teste or a very incorrect and hormonally challenged ovary. What you end up with is a crowing, mating, non-laying hen, who is by all appearances a cock except in feather type.

So, there's not really any one-way answer to your question. If you look at it just based on its behavior, you basically have a cock. It cannot do some of the things most cocks can, like produce offspring or grow cock's feathers, but it is in most aspects a cock.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by