1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Allore79, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Allore79

Allore79 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2015
    I am not sure of the age of these chickens. According to what the farmer told me they are 12-14 weeks. Not sure if he really knows for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They look to be about 12 to 14 weeks. Some of the cockerels have visible male saddle feathers. I see about 7 cockerels in that bottom picture.

3. Allore79

Dec 31, 2015
    do you know which ones are roosters? I know for sure of one third picture bottom left.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The ones with bright red combs, a dark shade of red on the shoulders/wings, or thin, pointed back feathers are the boys.

5. Allore79

Dec 31, 2015
    These are my first chickens so when people describe all this I do not see it. I do see the combs but the feathering is hard for me.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The bird on the far left is male. He's got the 'rooster' red shoulders, the bright red comb, the long, thin, pointed back feathers. Now, look at your chicks. If the comb matches in color (not shape, cause you have a few different comb-types), you have a boy. If the shade of red on the shoulders/wings matches, you have a boy. If any have the same shape feathers on the back, you have a boy.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on junebuggena's posts.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. Allore79

Dec 31, 2015
    Well that is disappointing. I have 14 chickens and at least half are roosters. I can't have that many roosters. I will try and look at feathers. I have been watching youtube videos trying to get help with looking at feathers. thank you.

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At this age the back feathers are the easiest to spot male/female feathering.
    Here are two pullets. Look closely at the shape of their back feathers. They are broad and rounded, like the feathers over the rest of their bodies.
    [​IMG]
    This photo shows a black pullet up front, and a cockerel in the back. They are about 16 weeks old in this picture. Can you see the difference in the shapes of the feathers?
    [​IMG]
    This is a 16 week old pullet. Her comb is just starting to pink up, and her back feathers are broad and rounded.
    [​IMG]
    Adult red rooster. Now compare his feathering to the barred hens pictured with him.
    [​IMG]

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome, and I'm sorry.:eek:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by