Rooster or Hen?

montanacowgirl

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
Hi, I'm new to raising chickens and haven't yet gotten the hang of identifying a rooster from a hen at this stage. This spring we invested in 4 pullets (as they told us) at our local feed store. We have a silver laced Wyandotte, a golden sexlink, a black australorp, and a buff brahma. The chicken in question today is the buff brahma. All four chickens are nearly 14 weeks old at this time. The Wyandotte, sexlink, and australorp are obviously hens. They have the common mannerisms and characteristics of hens, raising no doubt of their gender. However, the brahma is acting completely different. Along with its posture and general behavior, the noises he/she makes are quite different from the other three. No crowing had begun, but the squawks are deep and drawn out. He/she is an oncredibly vocal creature. As for behavior, if is important to mention that this chicken is VERY protective of the hens. If our dogs get even remotely close to their area, the brahma chases the dogs away, sometimes even charging and attacking them. As far as his/her behavior towards humans, we havent seen any aggression. He/she is very friendly. As you can see in the pictures, the comb and wattles are significantly larger than the other hens. I'm not sure if that is a specific characteristic of this breed, or is distinctive of a rooster. We have checked the feet and legs for signs of spurs and don't see much development other than a tiny nub on the inside of both legs. I believe I've included as much information as possible, but if you need more, please let me know and I will do my best to deliver.
I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures. It's difficult to get a chicken to stand still for very long
1f606.png

We greatly appreciate your help in identifying the gender of our chicken.
Thank you so much!!!

He/she carefully watches the sky as anything flies overhead. None of the hens do this.

I've included a picture of our silver laced Wyandotte for comparison of wattle and comb development.

Back
Top Bottom