Rooster or hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Becksyboo, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Becksyboo

Becksyboo Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I hatched out some eggs under my broody Wyandotte nearly 3 months ago. I'm pretty sure this little guy is a rooster but can someone confirm for me? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

could be a cockerel judging from the comb/wattle development at that age....
    a pic of the bird showing the full body from the side would be more helpful.
    We'd be looking for saddle and hackle feather development as well as coloration.

1 person likes this.
  3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Do you have a roo in your flock? If you cant keep them because of noise and you have fallen in love with this fella, if he is a boy, you can try the no crow collar. I did this with my roo and thank God it works great!! So if it turns out male and you dont have another roo and you want to keep him give the collar a try before you re home him. My guy is a silver penciled rock and its 100% effective for him. Im so greatful they made this collar!

1 person likes this.
  4. TheRedBush7

TheRedBush7 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    Roosters tend to have large wattles/combs and "curly" tail feathers

5. Becksyboo

Becksyboo Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    Is this a better view? I actually don't have another rooster in with my girls so I was planning on keeping this guy if he is a rooster anyway, I wasn't aware of a no crow collar so that's great to know In the future thanks! [​IMG][/IMG]

6. YogiChick85

YogiChick85 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    That actually looks a lot like a my two BR hens...I've read the roosters are a little lighter in color bc they have an extra barring gene or something? She looks pretty dark to me! I don't see any of the too saddle or hackle feathers either. My vote is hen!

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Does the bird have black staining down its legs and feet? I cant blow up the picture to see. I have 11 female barred rocks about 5 months old now and they ALL HAVE that black stain on their legs since they were hatched. It might be a female clue.

8. Becksyboo

Becksyboo Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    It doesn't

9. Becksyboo

Becksyboo Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I got the eggs from a hybrid hatchery would that make a difference in the colour?

10. Darchangel Farm

Darchangel Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    North Central Kentucky
    Yep, this is definitely a rooster! I can tell by the size and color of the comb and wattles. -Mike M.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by