Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenlady02, Jan 16, 2017.

1. chickenlady02

chickenlady02 Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and new to silkies. I have 3 silkie chickens and aren't sure whether they r hens or roosters. I've been looking at a fair few photos and stil aren't 100% sure. They r just over 4 weeks old. So they still might be a little young to tell. Here r some photos of them. Would be much appreciated if u guys could help, thanks

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Hopefeathers

Hopefeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2017
    :welcome
    Sorry, I haven't had any experience with silkies so I'm not able to help.
    Best wishes for you and your beautiful birds!!

3. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    I'm also not too familiar with silkies, but I think they may be to young to tell. But I don't know maybe someone else could help. Good luck! :)

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I don't have experience with Silkies but from what others have said, they can be difficult to sex until they are quite a bit older (and sometimes not until they either crow or lay an egg). You could try posting clear, close-up, full figure photos of them here to see what others have to say:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Best of luck!

5. 8rand0

8rand0 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    NorCal
    My gut says Black and buff are hens n white is a roo... but you won't be able to tell until almost 8 weeks and beyond...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by