1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ROOSTER OR HEN

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lschicken, Jan 23, 2017.

1. lschicken

lschicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    Rooster or Hen. Also wondering about our 4mth old Australorps gender[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I am thinking Cockerel. My Australorp did not even start turning red until at least 24 wks.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'm thinking cockerel as well, it first struck me as a cockerel anyhow. But there is no sign of saddle feathers. Which is odd for a bird of this age.

4. sshrader

sshrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    I'm going to guess Pullet. Not seeing any saddle feathers or hackle feathers.

5. lschicken

lschicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    Thanks guys for your help, we are just new to having chickens and this one and our polish chicken which are the same age have just started jumping up at eachother like they are fighting. Is this normal? Thats why I was wondering if they might be roosters

6. lschicken

lschicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    [​IMG]

7. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    I don't know much about the Polish chickens, but that looks like another hen\pullet to me, not seeing the feather shape that most Roo's have.

A few of my hens play around by jumping at each other, just a way they try to show dominance. Depending on how long you have had them together they could be competing for top of the pecking order. Did you get the 2 chickens from the same flock? Or separately.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  8. lschicken

lschicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    We bought them togther from the same brooder so they have been together their whole life.

9. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    Ah okay. The austalorp could be a Roo. Just haft to watch and see if he developed saddle feathers.

10. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by