Rooster or hen?

Boooooo TSC lies. This is the second time they gave me "pullets" and one turned out to be a roo. The problem is that I'm not zoned for roosters and I don't want to give him up. He's so purty and feisty, I love him šŸ˜¢
TSC mixes straight run, & sexed chicks together, & labels as pullets.

It could also have been a sexing error.

Thanks for adding more photos! I agree, that is a cockerel. Vent sexing isn't foolproof, most hatcheries advertise 90% accuracy.

This.

The hatchery isn't lying. The store isn't lying.

Sexing isn't perfect and the only way to avoid the 1-in-10 chance of an intended pullet being a cockerel is to buy sex-link hybrids or autosexing breeds.

And I've got what seems to be a 9-week-old blue sexlink male who, as a day-old, didn't have the telltale spot on his head and so was included in a batch of assorted brown layer pullets. Live animals don't come from nature with guarantees.

This.

Sexing isn't perfect and the only way to avoid the 1-in-10 chance of an intended pullet being a cockerel is to buy sex-link hybrids or autosexing breeds.

And I've got what seems to be a 9-week-old blue sexlink male who, as a day-old, didn't have the telltale spot on his head and so was included in a batch of assorted brown layer pullets. Live animals don't come from nature with guarantees.
Yeah, I know, I'm just being a dramatic whiner and don't want to give up another bird. I think I'll keep him for now and wait until my neighbors complain or he gets aggressive. He's too sweet for me to just give up right now.

This.

Right, I'm just whining and it's the 2/2 times I've gone to TSC. I'm going to keep my boy for now, unless the city comes after me. He's too sweet to just give away.

Tsc cant even sell the correct breeds most of the time ive gotten 6 ss before 4 where welsummers thats why I will buy from a hatchery if i want sexed pullets unless im looking for random breeds for eating then the cheap chicks at tsc works

Tsc cant even sell the correct breeds most of the time ive gotten 6 ss before 4 where welsummers thats why I will buy from a hatchery if i want sexed pullets unless im looking for random breeds for eating then the cheap chicks at tsc works
This hasn't been a great experience. I've gotten 6 birbs total and 2 have turned out to be roos when they were supposed to be hens. But I get that things aren't 100% when dealing with nature and I'm new at this. I'll probably look for a hatchery in the future just in principle (read a lot of negative reviews on TSC and now this).

This hasn't been a great experience. I've gotten 6 birbs total and 2 have turned out to be roos when they were supposed to be hens. But I get that things aren't 100% when dealing with nature and I'm new at this. I'll probably look for a hatchery in the future just in principle (read a lot of negative reviews on TSC and now this).
If they where older chicks they will move them in with the straight run to make room for new babies is why so many are males

Back
Top Bottom