Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Christine S, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Christine S

Christine S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    OK...so about 4 months ago, I got a couple additions to my flock. I was told they were both hens. One of them, is HUGE...easily 2x the size of all my other hens. This chicken has recently started jumping on the backs of my RIR's upon exiting the coop in the morning. Today a friend came over and he claims this chicken is a roo. I haven't had any crowing thus far...though it is this years bird, I have had him myself for 4 months...so he (if it is a he) has GOT to be old enough to crow...

Thoughts?

PS..the chicken DOES look like a roo...which is what drew me to it. We aren't allowed to have roo's here, and I thought it would be the next best thing. [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    If it looks like a roo, and acts like a roo, it's probably a roo. [​IMG] Can you post a pic?

3. Christine S

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    Not really sure how to post a pick..can you talk me through it? Can I just cut and paste onto a post?

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    It's very easy. Up in the blue bar just click on "uploads" and it will guide you through it. Just DO NOT click to resize it, so your photo won't be tiny.

5. Christine S

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    ok ill give it a go...the more I look at this bird the more roo'ish he looks..[​IMG]

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Up at the top of your page, click on the "uploads" tab. click the browse button, and it will pull up your pictures file on your computer. double click whatever pic you want and then click submit. then, once the pic comes up, right click on the url next to "image", copy, and paste it into your message.

Also,
    Portland Maine, or Portland Oregon??

7. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Yea... it is a roo. It stinks because that happened to me. Well I was going to take this bird to fair and 1 week and I heard crowing. Boy was I mad [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Christine S

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    Portland. ME

Here goes..

[​IMG]

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    It's 100% roo i'm afraid [​IMG]