rooster or hen?

dwa

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
I purchased two Bantam chics from a local farm supply store three years ago. They were only a couple of days old. I wanted two hens. Several "experts" in the store gave conflicting advice about how to tell rooster chics from hens. The short story is, I got one rooster and one hen. They have been a real joy. I'm thinking about adding to my flock. I want to add hens, not roosters. Is there any way to tell which is which when they are just a few days old? I want to stick with bantams.

Thank you,
DWA

dwa, while I know nothing really about bantam chicks, I think you can only order them straight-run, which means whatever hatches tipically half pullets and half cockerals.

It will take a while before you know for sure, but keeping a eye on the comb and tail will give a clue within a month or shortly after. Either they both look the same and are the same, or you have one of each.
Hope this helps, bigzio

You can order only pullets or only roos if you want.

There is a way to tell on newborns, but unfortunately I can't remember how! LOL.... 'Jody' on the old board described it well quite a while ago... Had to do with the wing feathers and how fast they were growing.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you CAN order just pullets from the hatcherys.

smile.png

Sandy

"You can order only pullets or only roos if you want."

Ahh - but not sexed bantams.
wink.png

Hybrid birds can often be sexed by color (so-called "sex link"). Beyond that, it's a skill. You'll find lots of conflicting advice, most of it with no basis other than "my uncle's postman swore by it!".

If the chicks are several days old, the cockerals may have already gotten a head start on their combs, spurs etc. Also, cockerals tend to be more "spunky" and more dominant. Of course, this isn't anywhere near 100%.

-Frank

If you are wanting only bantams then the only way you can get them from a hatchery is st. run. They do not sex bantms like they do standards.

Back
Top Bottom