Rooster or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beverley7, Jul 13, 2010.

1. beverley7

beverley7 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I have (4) 12 week old chickens and I have had them since they were 5 weeks old. When they were picked for me out of many chicks, the owner did remark that if you happen to get a rooster you may bring it back and get a hen instead - now one of my supposed hens made a rather different noise today which reminded me of the start of a rooster call. Can hens make similar noises to roosters in the beginning? When will I know for sure if this chicken is a guy or a girl. :) Oh and the said chicken still doesn't have a tail and looks less rooster like than any of the others. :-/ If you have any information for me that would be great. Many thanks

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    picture would help

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

As they say, a photo is worth a thousand words, or in this case, identifying gender. [​IMG]

Cockerels sound kind of like someone stepped on a squeaky toy the wrong way when they start to crow. But hens have been known to crow on rare occasions.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. beverley7

beverley7 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    [​IMG]

thank you. :)

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Kinda looks like a boy. Does it have pointy saddle feathers? I've had many roos that were tailless for some time. They do tend to feather in more slowly.

6. charlieschickens

charlieschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Looks like a male to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by