Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WooingWyandotte, Apr 25, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I bought a Brahma as a hen at 1 1/2 weeks old. Now I'm having my suspicions. Currently it is about 5-6 wks old (?) and challenging my older hens.

It singles out the dominant one and suddenly runs toward her flapping it's wings then jumping at her and pecking, to me it looks like a cock fight, but with hens!

For a Light Brahma it has a lot of black, the comb is more pink that the BO that I bought with it (she's definitely a hen) and it's very bossy. He/she herds the BO around and pecks her if she gets out of line. When it was younger it would attack the dominant hen a lot more, until she whupped he/she. Now it's a lot more respectful (hehe).
    I also noticed that it has black speckly feather by it's eyebrow? Is that only in rooster? And it has feathers not only on it's legs but feet too. Is that a rooster thing?

I will appreciate any help. Does anybody know any feathering techniques for a teenage chicken? I know Light Brahmas are slow to mature, but how long will I have to wait before I absolutely know?

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

WooingWyandotte

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Sounds like a pecking order thing that should work itself out. Pics help once you are able to post them. [​IMG]

3. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I was wondering that too, but I forgot to mention in my last post that he/she also tries to jump on the buff multiple times each day. Is this an early attempt to mount?

4. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Feathers on the feet mean nothing, that's just a characteristic of whatever breed they are. It's hard to say w/out pics. I had a few hens that I swore were gonna be roosters as chicks, but weren't and then had a couple that we thought were hens that turned out roos. Just never can say. I have one right now that is supposed to be a little hen but she always has to be above the other chicks and very very curious. She and my red pullet have become best buds and cause a lot of rucus. together. After 10 posts you can put pics, so maybe you can add one soon and we can help. [​IMG]

5. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Thanks! That helps, I'll get to posting so I can add pics.

6. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I have pictures now. Here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if you have any ideas, and I have more pictures if you want me to post more.

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    From what I can see, it looks hen-ish....

No thick legs
    No waddles
    Slight pink comb though... (one strike)

8. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Looks like my Brahma pullet.

You'd be surprised how many aggressive hens there are in the world...

9. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Looks to me as if you just have a dominant brahma hen. She just wants to be top dog...er... chicken.[​IMG]

10. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Looks to me as if you just have a dominant brahma hen. She just wants to be top dog...er... chicken.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by