Rooster or Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SlowRiverFarms, Jul 15, 2011.

1. SlowRiverFarms

SlowRiverFarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Rescue, CA
    OK, I have two silver laced Wyandottes that should be female, but have decided to start crowing and being aggressive with the other birds. They are 5 months old now. I believe they are really Roos, but my wife is convinced otherwise. They have no spurs, but their comb is a bit larger than the other birds (including Wyandottes) that are at the same age. They do not try to mount the other birds.

I have a few pics of one at https://picasaweb.google.com/ourpix...authkey=Gv1sRgCLul54zcua_i4gE&feat=directlink. The other one is the same, except no tail feathers. No matter what I have to find them a good home because we can't have crowing going on.

But I sure am curious - what do you think?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sorry but they are roosters.......Beautiful though....

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Crowing= male.

White splash across back= male.

Big comb and wattles= male.

Saddle feathers= male.

Outcome= WITHOUT A DOUBT males.

I also don't think that is a Wyandotte. I think it's an Easter Egger rooster.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. SlowRiverFarms

SlowRiverFarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Rescue, CA
    Thanks for the responses. Now that I have looked up a few Aracuana Roosters online, I think I would agree they are "Easter Eggers" and not Wyandottes. I am more convinced they are male, and my wife has changed her mind [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by