Rooster or Hen

rcoletti116

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
Athens, GA
105212_sunshine.jpg

This is Sunshine. Sunshine is a Buff Orpington, about 6 months old. Until now I thought Sunshine was a hen. I had no reason to believe otherwise. Within the past week "she" has nearly doubled in size (not really an exaggeration) and is twice as big as her sister Pip. They are pure breed from the same parents, hatched the very same day.

Does anyone have any thoughts by looking at this picture whether or not Sunshine is a hen or possibly a rooster? Or perhaps she just hit a growth spurt that Pip hasn't hit yet. To add to the confusion, I really thought Sunshine has been laying eggs. I find "her" sitting in the nest frequently with eggs to appear later.

I would appreciate the input of my fellow-chicken lovers.

Can you post more pictures? I think it's a girl, but am kind of on the fence about it
hmm.png

The tail is what makes me suspect roo, but other than that...

The colour of the image seems tweaked.

Oh another picture is up!

I'm going to go with roo... At this age, shouldn't you be seeing signs? IE: Crowing?

I'm not 100% sold on roo though. I hope someone else helps out!

Kinda looks like a roo...hard to tell from that angle.

Looks like rooster tail feathers but the neck feathers aren't quite right for a roo.

Last edited:
There aren't any signs... no crowing, no noticeable differences in feathers or tails, no spurs (though there are bumps)

I'd think that at 6 months, you'd definitely notice a difference in feathers in person. That alone makes me think girl, not boy.

That is a cockerel. Note the thin long hackle (neck) feathers and Saddle feathers. Both long and pointed. The sickle feathers are starting to come in as well. In the next few months that wattle will grow very long.

Just compare him to his sister. Note the tail, saddle and hackle. He should stand erect opposed to sisters horizontal stance. Surprised no crowing at 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom