1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beegees4, Nov 8, 2011.

1. beegees4

beegees4 New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    We have three pullets, but I have a suspicion that I may have a male. How can I tell this early?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

To be able to tell you or see we need pictures [​IMG] LOL!!

3. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Welcome! [​IMG] Knowing the age would help, because you look for different characteristics at certain ages. And if you can't post a pic, what breed?

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I think you still have to have at least 10 post before you can add pics. could be wrong though. [​IMG]

5. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Since you didnt post the age or pics its hard to say. If they are around 3 weeks look for wattle/comb development because normally the males have larger combs at that age. Also, my chicks are 6 weeks old and have their hackle feathers in so look at the hackle feathers on the back of their necks and if they are long and pointy you probably have a rooster. If they are rounded, you have a pullet.

I hope I helped! Good luck! [​IMG]

6. beegees4

beegees4 New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone [​IMG] I will try to post pics as soon as possible. "She" is a Sicilian Buttercup, approximately 6 weeks old. My guess at her being a rooster was made because she is very possessive of me, has very developed tail feathers, and is slightly aggressive towards the other pullets.

7. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Quote:What a cute little breed...I had to look up pictures because I've never heard of them before. From what I could find for this breed, one way to tell is the males start comb development very early. If you have others of the same breed, compare the comb sizes.
    (Either keep posting till you get to 10 posts and upload a pic here, or if you have a photosharing account like photobucket, you can post an image from there immediately.)

8. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:X 2

and where did you get that Icon with the " This thread is worthless without pics " thingy?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:we really need a pic of her. she could just be the domanit pullet right now

10. beegees4

beegees4 New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Sicilian Buttercups are quite beautiful. She still doesn't have a comb as of yet. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Must always be one pushy broad in the bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by