1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or Hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VespaGirl, Nov 3, 2012.

1. VespaGirl

VespaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Bay Area-California
    Hi there,

New to chickens. We currently have 12 chickens of different breeds. We have one (Aurora) which my husband thinks is a Rhode Island Red who I think could be a rooster. She (he) does crow sometimes, is really bossy and has started to terrorize my poor dog. But she doesn't have spurs or a big comb but that could come later?? She (he) comes down from the yard to the patio when the dog is out and pecks his butt. It is kinda funny but my poor cocker spaniel doesn't find any humor in it. Weird thing is she (he) never messes with my goats. Guess she knows the dog is a big "chicken". She is going on 5 months old now. I will put some pics up if someone could please shed some light on this for me it would be great. My 3 year old loves her and named her Aurora but after she pecked her a few times had since renamed her Aurora the biter. Anyway.....Help!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Rooster do you see the red streamer feather on eack side of his black tail feathers?ure sign of rooster.

3. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    That is definetly a roo. Not a Rhode Island Red though, looks like a Golden Laced Wyandotte, which is why there isn't much comb. He's very pretty though.[​IMG]

4. VespaGirl

VespaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Bay Area-California
    Oh well good to know-my husband could not remember what breeds he ordered. :/ Now they question is if we keep him or not.

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Golden Laced Wyandotte cockerel [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, gold laced wyandotte. That type of comb is called a rose comb, he'll never get the big straight comb like a rhode island would. Some roos don't get spurs until they're older. Crowing and those saddle feathers are the sure signs!

Reading that he's pecked your daughter raises a flag to me for keeping him. No child should be terrorized by an animal so if it continues to be an issue please get rid of the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by