rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by browning6, Dec 3, 2012.

1. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I bought this chicken from a lady when it was about 7 weeks old. She said it was a blue barred hen. it looks to me like a barred rock which doesnt bother me at all. but now at about 22 weeks old i think she might be a he. The body type looks nothing like my other hens. The most puzzling thing is that there has been no crowing, dominating behavior or attempts to breed. We had an americauna hen turn out to be a rooster and by 12 weeks old i saw him attempting to crow and even attempting to breed one of my hens.
    Do i have a big leggy hen? Or a Lazy shy Rooster?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes you have a rooster.You can expect crowing when you see him taking an interest in the hens.

3. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    You have a Lazy shy rooster.

4. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

See how his comb kind of wrinkles as it grows? That means it will probably get bigger-it's a cock.

5. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    The tail feathers are rooster tail feathers. He is a Plymouth Rock cockerel. And a very pretty one too!!!! What's his name?

6. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Wait, either Plymouth Rock, or Maran.

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    He's a Plymouth Barred Rock. Maran's have white skin/shanks while Barred Rocks have yellow skin/shanks.
    He's a nice dark color too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  8. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California

My four year old son; who is the family egg gatherer, says his name is white black. If that is what he says it sticks I guess.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it's a cockerel

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a cockerel. Some boys are just slower to mature than others. I'm not sure what breed it is, but it's not a rock, and it's not pure for barring or it would be much lighter. If the breeder was breeding for blue barred hens it's probably got one barred parent and one blue parent and came out black barred instead of blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by