rooster or hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jsnick, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Jsnick

Jsnick Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Ilinois
    How do I know if my New Hampshire red is a rooster or a hen. I had some one tell me that one of mine is a rooster. Because it has a lot of red around the face. They are almost 6 months old, haven't heard any crowing but now I'm not sure. I don't have any pics yet. Are there any other distinct features to look for? Here I thought she was the one laying the only eggs I've gotten so far. LOL!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    NHR roosters at six months should be pretty different looking than the girls. A lot more comb and wattle / red on the head, those curved tail feathers and saddle and hackle feathers, he will probably be bigger also. Here is Feathersites page for NHR where they have pictures of roosters and hens, a six month old roo won't be as extreme as the older roosters, but he should sure look different than the girls.
    http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/NH/BRKNH.html

3. Jsnick

May 28, 2013
    Ilinois
    Great pictures!! I'm going to examine my 2 NHR today, try to get some pictures to post.
    Thanks

4. Jsnick

May 28, 2013
    Ilinois
    [​IMG]Here is a picture of one of them. Sorry I had hard time getting it to turn.
    What do you think roo or hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by