Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddyg84, Dec 13, 2013.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Got two Rhode Island red hens to add to my collection from a friend of a relative. I have very little information about them apart from they were hatched this year and that one of them could possibly be a rooster.
    They have very small crops but are larger than my other hens so I assume they are fully grown. Their behaviour is very strange compared to my other hens, when they have a little disagreement they stand tall and square up to each other and one of them occasionally jumps in the air and scrabs with her feet. Neither have feathers like a rooster but does this sound like the behaviour of a hen?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yes, hens will square off and get all ninja when making a statement. Post photos of your rooster suspects and see what we think!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Yes, I've seen hens do that when they have a disagreement. If you have one of each sex the difference would be quite noticeable. If you can post pics we will be able to tell you for sure what you have.

4. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Ah right thanks for that. Yeh so I'm prob just being silly. Haven't seen that behaviour in my other hens, perhaps they're just too friendly :) my newbies are still a little timid to get a decent photo. You are right tho, they both look very similar and have none of the features I've read about roosters like the tail feathers etc. was just the behaviour confusing me. Thanks guys

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I bought a trio of Jersey Giants at 12 weeks of age from a private source. I don't know why, but those three sparred on a routine basis. The two pullets would kick up at each other and flare hackle feathers like they had never seen each other before. Then the cockerel would get involved and there would be feet kicking out everywhere. They grew out of it as they aged, though. Good thing, too, as I would have sent them down the road.

The flock that arrived at three days of age from Cackle Hatchery always got along well with each other. Now, as mature hens, they have an occasional ninja episode but resolve the issue very quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by