Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by smithab, Aug 17, 2014.

1. smithab

smithab In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    I know this sounds like a crazy question but is this a rooster or a hen? I bought 5 buffs at a local auction about 2 months ago (they were pullets). They were labeled as hens but I think I might have 2 roosters.The chicken in the 2nd and 3rd picture is Cindy Crawford (might have to change the name to Charlie). She/he attempts to crow every morning and I haven't gotten any eggs yet. The chicken in the top pic is Uma Thurman (might change name to Bosely). I am very new to chickens and this is my first flock. Please help me determine the sex.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Crowing

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You definitely have a Charlie. If the other one has as big a comb (from side angle) and a tail that looks similar to Charlie, then you have a Bosely, too. I raised two Buff Orpington Roosters together who got along very well.

3. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The one in the pics is a boy and it sounds like your other might be as well

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  4. smithab

smithab In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks everyone. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any eggs yet. I do have 3 buffs that do not have large combs so those must be my hens. Looks like I will be renaming my flock! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: