Rooster or hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littletmv, Jan 30, 2015.

1. littletmv

littletmv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    Ok, so someone gave me this chicken, and told me its a Hen. I'm starting to the Rooster. He/she guards the nesting boxes when one of the girls are in there. And also, kinda sounds like a Rooster sometimes in the morning.. What do you think?[​IMG]

2. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2014
    Looks like a young male, the tail feathers are curved and long and it looks like he has the start of pointed hackle and saddle feathers.
    He is very beautiful though and you can keep a cockerel even if you have neighbours, I know I have four cockerels that I bring indoors at night so any early crowing is not heard!

3. Sambi89

Sambi89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT
    Yup those saddle feathers really scream rooster. But at one time I was convinced all my hens were roosters. Give it a little time and hopefully he/she lays an egg and doesn't crow!

4. littletmv

Jan 30, 2015
    Oh boy, not what I wanted to hear.. Lol. I have had him/her for a few months, crowed once in awhile. This past week, it has been getting a little more friendly with me, and now I s trying to be boss of the others. Prior, it was standoffish with everyone. Never laid an egg. Only guards nesting box when one of the girls are in there. Is this a Australorp?

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    100% roo, and yeah, looks like an Australorp. Sounds like he's a good boy, too.

6. littletmv

Jan 30, 2015
    He is a good boy, but I really didnt want a Rooster... The noise with neighbors, and afraid to get fertilized eggs. I'm new to this, so I'm still learning. You all are so helpful

7. Aseel-lover

Aseel-lover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

Rooster or hen?

8. Aseel-lover

Aseel-lover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    [​IMG] Rooster or hen

9. littletmv

Jan 30, 2015
    Also, do Hens ever try to sound like a rooster.. Because it doesn't sound extremely loud like a rooster, similar, but not as high pitched

10. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Don't be afraid of fertilized eggs. You honestly won't notice any difference with daily collection. My mom makes a big deal about how she doesn't like fertilized eggs, but let me tell you, when I give her eggs from my friend's flock (which are fertilized, but I've never told mom that) she raves about them, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by