rooster or hen...

dreamcatcher12

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Gaston South Carolina

I purchased 3pullets and this one is very fiesty and bites. Yesterday I noticed the red spots on the sides in the cheek area and it's comb is quite larger then the other two... So I'm hoping that maybe someone can tell me if by chance I have a rooster. Thank you in advance... :):D:)

Hi Teila the breed is Black Australorp and it's age I want to say about 4 wks .. But now that I say that out loud that seems so young. I bought them with a turkey all of them are like best friends and now I put them outside seems like all my feathered friends love coming in the house and the turkey really needed to go out so I had to put them out too otherwise they all cry for what feels like hours..

Sorry dreamcatcher12 as enola said, that is a lot of comb for that age and I am sticking with rooster.

I have 5 x 5 week old's and it looks like 3 might be boys (no roosters allowed here)
sad.png

I got four chicks that are supposed to be all girls, one of them has a larger comb and likes to peck at you and acts like the leader.

Their two weeks old and I'm wondering if it's a male or female.

This is what some of my other chicks combs

Last edited:
Yeah I didnt want roosters either just hens my fist 6 I bought a year ago were suppose to be all pullets and my favorite one turned out to be a japanese bantam rooster who I love dearly he is my baby, I just looked at him and figured he cant do nothing to my girls they are a lot bigger then him. I just bought some more chicks trying to find him a wife... im praying they r hens.

I purchased 3pullets and this one is very fiesty and bites. Yesterday I noticed the red spots on the sides in the cheek area and it's comb is quite larger then the other two... So I'm hoping that maybe someone can tell me if by chance I have a rooster. Thank you in advance...
smile.png
big_smile.png
:)
This is a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom