Rooster or hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SassiaKY, Oct 16, 2013.

1. SassiaKY

SassiaKY Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    KY
    This little monsters are 8 -9 weeks old .... I am wondering what I have here . Thank you !
    [​IMG]

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

the one in front is probably a cockerel, the other one i can see the head of looks like a pullet. breed is probably black australorp or jersey giant - but they could be something else.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Are they Black Australorps? From the comb size I would say rooster for the chick in front, the rest are pullets, though I'm not sure about the one with the blurry head.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    leaning more towards black giants, australorps normally have white bellies and some white in the feathers until they become adults.

5. Veer67

Could you get individual pictures of each?

6. SassiaKY

Oct 16, 2013
    KY
    sorry yes these are black Australorps

7. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    ok, now i must ask where you got them. im impressed that they are all black already.

8. Veer67

Most Black Australorp chicks by the age of 9 weeks should mostly have black feathers. :)

9. SassiaKY

Oct 16, 2013
    KY
    One of my hens decided to become a mom ... my rooster is a big boy and they make pretty babies.. I was shocked how well they developed ... all under Mama hen ... they still have a few white wing feathers...my attavar shows Mom with one of these teenagers as babies :)

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im working on the quality of mine, but they typically show white until the final molt before they lay. not alot after a couple of months, but it does show. mine aren't show quality though, they are from the "record holding egg laying line" that could be the difference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by