Rooster or Just a Mean Girl?

Pics

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
Is my black copper marans a rooster a just a mean girl? I’ve had her for almost 2 months, so she’s probably 4 months old. I’ve been waiting for those beautiful copper brown eggs. And then this happened! She jump on the back of my new chicken. Twice! (See video) That made me wonder if she was mis-sexed. She is definitely the bully... she keeps my new chicks from feeding and a notorious feather puller. What’s the deal? Mean girl or rooster? Oh yeah... I haven’t heard her crow. So I hope that is a good sign.

Hen or Rooster video

IMG_0059.jpg IMG_0054.jpg IMG_0057.jpg

Last edited:
I completely understand. Probably won't cull him, though. I thought about selling him. Just not sure... I'll keep him around for a few days until I decide. Thanks for the perspective.

I contacted the farm where I purchased him. They have 2 remaining. Do you think it is too much to expect a discount on a new pullet?
I would expect a free pullet. You paid for a pullet, correct? That would be quite a price difference.

The nail explains a lot. My goodness. 🤦‍♀️ He is without a doubt, 100% cockerel.

My question is how could the farm not tell that he was obviously mating and is a very obvious cockerel and is brushing it off as showing dominance?
Anyone familiar with chickens should be able to see it was a him via video.
Maybe it was a small screen? Poor eyesight? Etc. Hard telling.
Sexing them young can be hit and miss.

I’ll try to recall what they said. They said every living thing has a natural ph force or something. So he held the large steel nail attached to a string above the chick’s head if it goes in a circle, it’s a male. If it swings back and forth, it’s female. Or vice versa. But that’s the gist of it.
Haha.
Those loony bins.
Don’t fall for stupid, stupid stuff like that.
Do a little research, and you’ll know the difference between an adult rooster and a hen, and whether you’re getting scammed or not.
The only way to sex chicks is color sexing (Sexlinks)
and vent sexing.

The only way to sex chicks is color sexing (Sexlinks)
and vent sexing.

And feather growth/length sexing, but that can only be done on certain breeds that have that trait bred into them.

I do my own "sexing" when choosing from vent sexed chicks at a feed store - as vent sexing still yields roughly 10% chance of males - by looking for certain behaviors or traits. Thicker legs, upright stance, or more curious/friendly, or slower feather growth if they're older than a couple of weeks = higher likelihood of being a boy versus others in the bin.

Back
Top Bottom