Rooster or Mean Hen?

battagliac

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Woodland, CA (near Sacramento)
We have 3 hens about 20 weeks old that grew up together from chicks. Suddenly one just started abusing another one pretty bad. It stalks it, pecking it, ripping out feathers, and sometimes pins it down in a corner and literally stands on top of it pecking away at it's head. Is this normal behavior to establish dominance? Would I know it's a rooster at this age? I've been reading about how to tell it's a rooster but don't see any signs yet? Should I split them up or something? Thanks.

I would take the dominant one away for a bit or it may kill the other one :( I have never seen a chick be that aggressive to another chick before - not to the extent you describe.

Last edited:
Thanks Hyline - They are about 20 weeks old now, so pettty much adult size. I am beginning to think it could be a rooster? It doesn't have the long tail feathers yet, but it is contantly making this long low pitch throat sound---whooooooaaaaaaa! Could it be? It is constantly pecking the head of another head and sometimes really attacks it.

Back
Top Bottom