1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or Mean Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by battagliac, Feb 13, 2012.

1. battagliac

battagliac Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 20-week old chickens, and I'm beginning to think one could be a rooster? It doesn't have the long tail feathers yet, but it is contantly making this long low pitch throat sound---whoooooooooaaaaaaa! Could it be? It is constantly pecking the head of another hen (the bigger of the two) and sometimes really attacks it. It is constantly following it around pecking it. They are in a 20 x 8 ft wire run with a coop inside. Is this hen in danger do I have a rooster?? Its the one with the gold head in the picture (taken about 2 months ago) Thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Do you have pictures? I have hens who are very noisy when waiting to use the nest box - it is a very different sound than either the egg song or a crow. Perhaps you have a hen that is doing this?

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    At 20 weeks, unless it's some weird breed, it will be very obvious that it is a roo.
    Head pecking is a dominant move which roosters usually don't do. The dominant hen will sometimes learn to crow if no roo is present.

4. battagliac

Thanks for your two replies. I am in the process of posting some pictures to my profile. Hopefully your right and it is just a dominant hen.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like a dominant hen. My girls make the same noises. My roosters do too, but it's like a growl.

My roosters NEVER peck my girls unless they are trying to mate them or grab on to them. They are so good to their girls.

ETA: I guess they do peck if they want to stop a fight. But that's it

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. battagliac

Thanks again for the info--these are our first chickens so we are learning from you all. I posted some pics, and my Avatar pic is the mean one. The abused hen was hiding in the coop so didn't get her picture.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's a hen. Just trying to get to the top of the pecking order I assume :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by