Rooster or Mites or ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mr Bojangles, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    I recently got these two hens from a buddy. He said they are black stars. 1st question. Are they? they look pretty beat up. He said the rooster been getting ahold on them pretty good. They just starting laying not too long ago. I admit their skin is looking better. It was very red. 2nd question. Can a rooster really do that much damage? Especially to their wings? Or does it look like it is another issue. I haven't noticed anything crawling on them. But they are hard to catch. I will check at roost time. I noticed a bald patch on one of their breasts also. Was going to take a pic of it but I couldn't see it anymore.
    Thanks
    -Worry Wort Newby

2. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    [​IMG]

3. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    [​IMG]

4. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They appear to be Black Stars. Yes a rooster can do that much damage to hens, and more. I've seen puncture wounds on the sides of hens under the wings due to the rooster overtreading his favorites. Normally there should be about 10 hens per rooster to help eliminate overtreading. You can purchase chicken saddles to protect your hens and also get more hens from your buddy.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Looks like Rooster damage to me..they can also damage their wings when they mount them...I have had few with awful damage to their skin..ripped at their wings by an ardent Rooster

7. Mr Bojangles

Aug 26, 2014
    Sturgis, KY
    Well good. I was hoping nothing bad. They do look better so I was leaning toward rooster. My rooster hasn't been messing with them much. He tried to get one one time but a high ranking hen ran him off her. Lol. She's a bully. I have 9 hens to the 1 rooster. Sounds good then. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by