1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or no Rooster? which makes happy hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dadthebaker, Nov 12, 2011.

1. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Howdie Y'all!

Warmest to you.

I am pondering whether my girls are gonna need to get hooked up with a rooster. [​IMG] And if I do let them...er..."date"... do we need to sit down and talk about proper dating ettiquette? ... lol

We dont want to own one, for sure, but what about the mental and physical well being of my girls?

If I kept them pure and chaste, will they rebel and hate me when they get older?

It's still a way off, I know, but hey...these things come to a Fathers head.

Are there any posts on this subject that someone would point me to??

Dad [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They won't know the difference. Roosters are for your peace of mind, and for harassing the girls when you aren't looking [​IMG]

My silkie roo takes good care of his girls. He feeds them.. He protects the (even from one another), and he snuggles up to any that are cold at night.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Overall, I think my girls seemed happier without a rooster. They were without one for the first 7 months. Then I tried to introduce one whom most of them hated - so he went elsewhere. I tried again when they were around a year old, this time a mature little bantam roo. They took to him pretty well overall, and do fine with him. Although I like our little roo okay, and my girls seem to do well with him, they just seemed more personable before. [​IMG]

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Mine tolerate the roo's but I think they would be happier as widows.

5. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    My ladies do really well having a roo. My Roy Boy takes good care of the ladies, he feeds them, takes them for walks around the yard,
    and leads them in the coop at night for bed time. When they turn down his advances for mating he respects them and walks away.
    I honestly could not ask for a better roo.

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic of my roo Roy Boy.

6. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Roy...Nice boy there! ever the gentleman, eh?

It was just a thought that maybe the gals "need" to feel like they accoplished something in life... I will see what happens in time...maybe wait till they are a year and a half old... and hire a gigalo for them...lol...

in the meantime, I will keep my girls safe on our Themiscyra Island. [​IMG]

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I didn't want one, had no intention of ever having a rooster around. And then my kids' favorite chick ended up being a sexing mistake. He's pretty, sweet, mild-mannered, watches out for danger, and he willingly puts his life at risk to protect the girls. So, he's not going anywhere. I'm sure they'd be happier at times if he weren't harassing them for sex but then they also come running for his protection if they realize he's not right there with them.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They really do not "need" a rooster at all. Unless somebody in your flock goes broody, then she's gonna sit on eggs that will never hatch.

However, I love having roosters. I do have hens which go broody, and I let 'em hatch chicks. My dominant rooster and a few of his lieutenants are very good roosters and companions for their special ladies. And excellent flock guardians. They break up hen squabbles.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you can have a rooster then get one. A rooster has more value than making chicks. He keeps order among the flock and looks out for the girls. If he is a "real" rooster. A real rooster is a gentlemen and does a little dance around the girl of his fancy, so she knows what's what.

Unless you mean daughters of which I have three and in that case? No one has the answers there. [​IMG] Though I suspect a hen is better at choosing a mate than a teenage girl. [​IMG]

I wish you the best either way.

Rancher

10. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    I wish I could say I love having a rooster.....but my little Black Silkie has decided to start attacking me and I'm working on changing that. In the meantime though.....what a pain!!! He grew up with the girls (he was supposed to be a hen) but I believe since they've gotten older (now 7 months old).....in the last 2 months, the girls have really changed around him and I want the way they used to be....back. Maybe if & when my roo settles down the girls will go back to liking being picked up and such. If I can't change his attitude, he's going to have to go to another home and I won't have a rooster again. Just thought you should know the other side of the coin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by