Rooster or no Rooster

Deer lane farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
I can't decide whether to keep my rooster or not. He is the 3rd one I have gotten by accident. The others I gave away because they got nasty and hurt the girls. This one doesn't seem to bad. Anyone's ideas on keeping Roosters? I have 7 hens. Will he be a good addition to the flock or is it not worth the trouble? I like the crowing in the morning. I just don't like when he grabs the girls and holds them down. Is this hurting them?

I personally consider the right rooster to be an excellent addition to a flock. Bad roosters can be a huge detriment, but if your boy is being good to the hens as well as you, I say keep him. Roosters will warn hens of hawks, their large size can intimidate some of the smaller predators, and I personally love the sound of rooster's crowing and cackling. You also have the ability to hatch your own chicks.

Mating always looks a bit violent. However, if most of the time they are squatting for him or easily submitting to him, then they're doing just fine. If he is chasing them a lot (occasional chasing is normal), then he ought to go, but otherwise, he sounds like a great bird. Also, chickens specifically developed a "clocal kiss" rather than more invasive forms of breeding to minimize all injury and damage to hens. Occasionally you get a bit of feather loss from young or clumsy roosters, but this is easily solved by hen saddles if it occurs (which, in addition to protecting hen's feathers, are available in many stylish and pretty patterns!)

Last edited:
Personally i only keep roosters when i wish to breed, but i think that now i have a little experience, i would simply buy fertile eggs and put them under a broody. My flock seems a lot more peaceful sans rooster. Its a personal choice though - if he does not turn nasty on you, and you enjoy keeping him - then why not? Please read the threads on raising roosters in order to ensure that you "condition" him correctly - that way you will more likely have a pleasant rooster and a happy flock.

CT

I personally enjoy roosters and keep many, but there are good roosters and bad roosters and everywhere in between, I think a good rooster adds a lot to flock dynamics, he watches for predators, breakers up hen fights, finds and tries out new foods, and he rounds them up at night. Those are the big ones. Usually the trouble during mating is because everyone is young, as they get older it isn't as violent, at least if you have a good rooster, the poor ones stalk, mate and run, that's a bad rooster.

Thanks everyone. i went out this morning and had a talk with him. LOL He doesn't try to bite me when I touch him. And since 4 of my hens are a year older then him, he seems afraid and runs from them. The younger ones follow him around. I think I'll give it some more time. If he gets nasty then out he goes. The other ones I had there was no doubt they were nasty from the get go so maybe this guy is a keeper. I'll read the other threads on raising roosters, I didn't know there is a way to condition him. I'll see what there is. Thanks again.

How old is he?
I'm guessing about 4 months.....
.....if he is grabbing the younger pullets trying to mate them but the older hens are not allowing him to mate.
Good situation to have a cockerel in as long as he is not harassing the pullets too much by constantly chasing them down,
his behavior sounds pretty normal...and the older hen will school him in some manners.

I would not be petting or handling him much, maybe some hand feeding.
Handle the pullets occasionally for short periods of time without him objecting
and make him get out of your way when walking thru coop, run or range area.

I just recently decided to keep a rooster with my flock after 8 years of keeping chickens. He was beautiful yellow male that was included in with 7 other pullets(He was supposed to be one as well, oopsy).

Unfortunately while free ranging he came up missing. I have an order in for 15 Plymouth Barred Rocks from MPC and ordered
two roos as well. I like the idea of self perpetuating my flock.

And I like the sound of the crowing as well.

Back
Top Bottom