Rooster Or No Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Palmetto, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto New Egg

Jan 29, 2009
    We are starting a small coop of egg layers for personal use. What role if any does a rooster play if we are not interested in raising baby chicks at the present?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    A rooster just fertilizes the eggs. If your not wanting to hatch and eggs, then no rooster needed. [​IMG]

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I would not have a rooster if you aren't interested in fertile eggs. He will harass the hens and pull out their feathers, etc. while mating. I'm sure they will be more content and settled without a rooster in their midst.

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Absolutely nothing...if you just want eggs, then don't get a rooster. But if you want eggs and babies, then get one. I have a rooster just for the fact that I like having the option of eating or incubating.[​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you are going to let them free range a rooster is good to have around so he can warn the girls that danger is around. And also like the others say if you have a roo you have an options to incubate or eat [​IMG]

6. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    Agreed - depends on what you're looking for. it also depends on where you live. My neighbors are good about my hens, but won't tolerate a rooster crowing.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If you intend to free range your chickens, a rooster can be the best investment you ever make. BAR NONE.
    I love my girls, but I love my rooster for keeping the girls safe, showing them where to find food, keeping things running smooth, i.e., breaking up fights amongst the girls....I LOVE MY ROOSTER!

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I love my roosters! Naughty or nice..love them anyway! [​IMG]

9. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    One other thing to consider is how many hens you're planning to have. If it's fewer than around 8 (different people will say slightly different numbers), the individual hens will be mated too much and may lose feathers, become injured, or spend a lot of time running from the rooster.

10. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:same here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by