Rooster Or No Rooster

Palmetto

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
We are starting a small coop of egg layers for personal use. What role if any does a rooster play if we are not interested in raising baby chicks at the present?

A rooster just fertilizes the eggs. If your not wanting to hatch and eggs, then no rooster needed.
smile.png

I would not have a rooster if you aren't interested in fertile eggs. He will harass the hens and pull out their feathers, etc. while mating. I'm sure they will be more content and settled without a rooster in their midst.

Absolutely nothing...if you just want eggs, then don't get a rooster. But if you want eggs and babies, then get one. I have a rooster just for the fact that I like having the option of eating or incubating.
love.gif

If you are going to let them free range a rooster is good to have around so he can warn the girls that danger is around. And also like the others say if you have a roo you have an options to incubate or eat
smile.png

Agreed - depends on what you're looking for. it also depends on where you live. My neighbors are good about my hens, but won't tolerate a rooster crowing.

Quote:
If you intend to free range your chickens, a rooster can be the best investment you ever make. BAR NONE.
I love my girls, but I love my rooster for keeping the girls safe, showing them where to find food, keeping things running smooth, i.e., breaking up fights amongst the girls....I LOVE MY ROOSTER!

One other thing to consider is how many hens you're planning to have. If it's fewer than around 8 (different people will say slightly different numbers), the individual hens will be mated too much and may lose feathers, become injured, or spend a lot of time running from the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom