1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or no rooster?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by goody64, Mar 12, 2014.

1. goody64

goody64 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    Alto, Michigan
    So this is my first go at owning chickens. People who claim to know about chickens and how to raise them say that I should not get a rooster because he will fertilize the eggs from my hens. They are telling me that once this happens then the egg will not be good to eat. My question is, if I have 8 hens and one rooster will I be able to still eat eggs/ sell eggs to friends and family?
    Thank u, Matt

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Not true! Fertile eggs are perfectly good to eat and some say they even taste better with the rooster juice in them! [​IMG]

Now, not all people like to eat fertile eggs, knowing that they have been fertilized, LOL,so just be aware if you are selling these eggs.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

3. elch

elch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I eat fertilized eggs, as long as they weren't brooded.

4. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    They are fine unless they have stayed under heat for a few days.

5. goody64

Mar 9, 2014
    Alto, Michigan
    That's what I thought. As long as we are collecting them daily. Thank you

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, they are fine to eat, most people can't even tell if an egg has been fertilized, just be sure they haven't been brooded.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    There is only a small difference between a fertilized egg and an unfertilized one. The germinal disk thins out slightly in the center. That's IT until the egg has been at 99 degrees for 18 hours or so (the temperature of a hen sitting on them). Ever wondered why all the chicks in a clutch hatch at once even though the eggs might have been laid over a 10 day period? The eggs are in suspended animation (kinda) until they are at the right temperature for enough time.

Check the photos:

[​IMG]

(photo by gabbardhatchingeggs.com)

We have 75 laying hens and three roosters. Some of our eggs are fertilized, some are not. We sell to a grocery store. No one knows the difference.

1 person likes this.
  8. goody64

Mar 9, 2014
    Alto, Michigan
    Thank u. The photos were helpful.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC X 5 on eating fertile eggs. Understand that a rooster is not needed unless you are counting on hatching eggs. Some roosters can become aggressive and cause more problems than joy.

10. goody64

Mar 9, 2014
    Alto, Michigan
    Right, I understand that. However I've been told that if they will be free to roam the yard it is a good idea to have one rooster for protection. Is this false? What do y'all think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by