Rooster or not a rooster?

MamaJmm

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2021
I purchased chicks from our local feedstore this spring they were all supposed to be hens, but I believe I may have two possibly three roosters. I only have a total of 13 chickens so I know I am going to have to rehome two of them.
Here are pictures of all three. First up is my Polish, who I believe is a rooster very docile, so think I could keep him.
PXL_20210726_121326901.jpg

Next up is an Easter egger, likes to crow and has turned somewhat aggressive to the other hens. Thoughts rooster or not a rooster. THis is the one that has me most confused her tail feathers do not look as tall as the other two.
PXL_20210726_121250673.jpg
PXL_20210726_121255671.jpg

Third up is my Black Australorp, 95% this guy is a rooster.
1627308791413.png
These are all young birds just got them late March/Early April. I am looking to main a healthy flock. They are in a coop/run during the day and then let them free range in the evening for an hour or two in our yard (worried about predators- we live on 5 acres and have heavily wooded forest). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated for this first time chicken owner

I purchased chicks from our local feedstore this spring they were all supposed to be hens, but I believe I may have two possibly three roosters. I only have a total of 13 chickens so I know I am going to have to rehome two of them.
Here are pictures of all three. First up is my Polish, who I believe is a rooster very docile, so think I could keep him.
View attachment 2774121
Next up is an Easter egger, likes to crow and has turned somewhat aggressive to the other hens. Thoughts rooster or not a rooster. THis is the one that has me most confused her tail feathers do not look as tall as the other two. View attachment 2774128View attachment 2774129
Third up is my Black Australorp, 95% this guy is a rooster.
View attachment 2774133
These are all young birds just got them late March/Early April. I am looking to main a healthy flock. They are in a coop/run during the day and then let them free range in the evening for an hour or two in our yard (worried about predators- we live on 5 acres and have heavily wooded forest). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated for this first time chicken owner
These are all cockerels, & very handsome ones too.

Try putting an ad up on Craigslist, and/or finding a Facebook group for your local area and seeing if anyone wants them there. You can also see if BYC as a thread for your state/country to see if anyone can take them on there. BYC also has a trade~sell~buy section (I think that’s the name) that you can make a thread in, but I rarely see anyone re-home their roosters that way. The other option is culling. But if your not comfortable with culling then I’d try the first options and if it doesn’t work then you can come back and discuss further on that topic.
Thanks, if I can't rehome I know I will have to cull them, My husband has done it when he was a kid so I have that.

Thanks, if I can't rehome I know I will have to cull them, My husband has done it when he was a kid so I have that.
If you need to cull them and are having a hard time with it just remember that we are all here to offer you emotionally support :)

But let’s hope it never comes to that, and you get them re-homed.

Thanks! Yeah I am worried about that.
Try putting an ad up on Craigslist, and/or finding a Facebook group for your local area and seeing if anyone wants them there. You can also see if BYC as a thread for your state/country to see if anyone can take them on there. BYC also has a trade~sell~buy section (I think that’s the name) that you can make a thread in, but I rarely see anyone re-home their roosters that way. The other option is culling. But if your not comfortable with culling then I’d try the first options and if it doesn’t work then you can come back and discuss further on that topic.

Back
Top Bottom