Rooster or not? (Pic)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ssteiner, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    I've had a Rhode Island Red and a Buff Orpington for about 6 weeks now. We got them just a few days old. The reason I've posted this is to get some opinions. My Orpington (Judy) has a far less pronounced comb than the RIR (Rita). Never having raised chickens before, I just wondered what some of you more experienced people thought on seeing this picture.
    [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Can we see the rear end? that might help, though the chick is pretty young to know just yet.

3. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Haven't got a clue, but he has a male look in his eye.[​IMG]

4. ssteiner

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Here (s)he is from behind. We really hope she's a hen, as we can't keep a rooster but really love her already. When will I know? Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Looks like a boy to me.

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I also say boy, because from that backside shot, he looks to be reddening up on those waddles.

7. ssteiner

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    So, when does one know for sure? This saddens me. If I have to give her up, do I just go buy another chick and raise her and then put her with the other, older hen? Won't the older hen be lonely when I get rid of her friend? This is all very distressing.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I feel for you really - I have heard that you should know at about 14-16 weeks, when they crow/croak.

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

People are always quick to call a bird a roo. Can you get a shot from the side, showing the whole side through to the tail? We're looking for the signs of saddle feathers, I don't see any in that rear-shot you posted.

10. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    well i kinda think hen or it could be roo to because with standards hens usually have big combs but who knows just giving u my opinion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by