Rooster or not rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ircer, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ircer

ircer New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have a bantam Araucana. I bought it together with another Araucana about 6 weeks ago. The breeder told me they're pullets. Now one of them is laying (blue eggs). The one that not laying is to me from head to toe looks 100% pullet.

Strangely, I just saw this Araucana that I think is a pullet is mating with the one that is laying [​IMG]. Is it real or chickens do pretend/joke?

Howvever, up to this day I have not heard him crows. So the question is do roosters crow & starting mating at the same time? Or they can mate first and start crowing later date?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My young roosters will try to mount every hen they see long before they start crowing. I have never seen a pullet mount another pullet.

3. ircer

ircer New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Maybe I should put a photo of him/her up here see what you guys think of him/her. It doesn't look like a rooster at all in any shape or form. The tail feather is 100% hen and it's tiny in size (small size like Seabright breed).

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Put up a picture and some one should be able to tell.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sometimes, in the absence of a rooster a hen will mount another hen. It's a dominance thing.
    Little roosters crowing and trying to mate with the hens doesn't come in any particular order. I've had little roosters trying to mate with older hens (sometimes their own mothers) weeks before "crowing".

6. ircer

ircer New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep, I should have taken a picture of him/her so you guys can sex him/her. I'll do that tomorrow (it's dark over here now).

I do have another Araucana rooster (more mature). He has a sickle tail feather. In fact, right now I believe I have a 100% rooster, another 50-50% rooster and this Araucan that I thought was a hen. So there's no lack of roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by