rooster or not what would you say?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bdp7150, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    i have 16 pullets and all i want out of my chickens is eggs and pet ship. but i want to free roam them at times when i'm home , i have heard that a roo will protect and watch the flock for danger when free roam . but at this time i don't need baby chicks . give me some thoughts>

2. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Just because you have a rooster to watch over and protect them, doesn't mean that you will automatically have baby chicks.

3. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Also, at this time of year, with winter setting in, you are probably not going to have a bunch of eggs, if any until spring starts showing up again.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    As long as you collect all the eggs everyday there won't be any baby chicks.

A rooster can add a lot of protection if you plan on free ranging.

Do you live in a place where a crowing rooster will upset the neighbors?

Do you have small children?

These are some of the things you should consider before getting a rooster.

5. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    i have 45 acres and crowing is no issue , so as long as i check for eggs every day and get them out i won't have to worry about checking for eggs with baby's in them.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Time to find a good rooster! [​IMG]

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Personally I enjoy the sound of my roosters crowing everyday! I love the little cooing sounds they make when they find goodies in the grass, the way they let the girls eat the goodies and the way they look when they flap their wings and stand tall preparing for a big crow!!! They will protect your flock by putting himself at risk, sometimes winning, sometimes losing. I had a little mixed breed banty rooster who gave his life to save my girls! I loved him dearly and was offered one of his brothers, but the kestral would have just come back and taken him too! I have 2 standard sized roosters with 2 separate flocks. We had a hawk fly ina few days ago and he warned the girls, they took off under the wood pile and he stood his ground! Luckily all his screaming and flapping scared the hawk away and every one was safe that day.

As long as you collect your eggs daily, you won't have any babies. But the up side is that if you ever did want babies, you can have them!

I say go for it!

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's not a flock without a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by