rooster or not...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by canaan, Jan 19, 2009.

1. canaan

canaan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    i have 18 hens and no rooster, mainly because i also have several young children and i didnt want to take the chance of having a nasty rooster chasing them around!

i have been thinking about adding a rooster that has already shown his calm personality. i do like the idea of raising one to be used to our surroundings here, as we raised half of the hens we have from day-old chicks, but then i am gambling on his personality...

so, my concerns/questions are that i know of a 3 yr old rooster i can probably get - does a rooster effectively mate for life? is it healthier for the hens just to have him around? aside from the protection thing (as they are secured at night and all) and beyond aesthetics and atmosphere, is there some sort of hormonal balance that is biologically better when a rooster lives among the flock? can someone please enlighten me?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Won't make any difference with the hormones... except for the roo who will be very happy to have 18 hens.

I put a 2 to 3 year old roo in with my 24 hens on Friday and he has yet to mate with one.

Friday I'm going to be getting another EE roo to put in with them and perhaps, let Jerry D go to Pratts.

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    What do you mean 'mate for life'?

Roos are much, much different then hens, and they will (probably) challenge you. Introducing a Roo is a complete alteration of your flock dynamic and you need to be prepared.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I wouldn't get a rooster if you have several young children around. For some reason, children seem to push their "buttons" more than adults do--closer in size, thus seen as a "chicken"? The risk is too big that someone could be hurt or traumatized. Wait until the children are old enough to defend themselves if necessary. A rooster is fun, but certainly not necessary for happy hens.

5. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    I got lucky i have very calm roosters no mean or nasty (knock on wood) i would say dont bet on a calm submissive male i can guarantee he will change his dameiner when he gets put into a new coop with all your pretty ladies. i was always told if you didnt have a rooster one of your hens would take on that role she would be the protector alpha female and in some cases she would stop laying and take on the job full time ( no crowing necessary lol)

6. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Get it! Roosters are so fun. However, you have to be prepared to lay a smack down if he misbehaves. And your kids need to learn if he challenges them or is aggressive to just give him a boot. Simple and fun and---------
    DELICIOUS if it don't work out.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I'm not sure why you want a Rooster. Personally I would rather not have one. They will mate any and all of your pullets/hens. They may have a favorite hen. I was pretty lucky and mine saw me as the top of the heap of the flock but I had him from hatch. I had to let him know rarely that I was the head honcho. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    FIRST! [​IMG]

Unless you want more chicks, you don't need a rooster. In your situation, I would say there's no need to get a roo. It might upset your chicken coop balance more than anything.

They do not mate for life, they will mate with all your girls.

Christina

9. canaan

canaan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    hi all - i am appreciating the feedback...

my children are respectful of the animals we have. they know the rules and have been raised with different kinds of animals. still, i know a little kid can be a little kid... was just pondering the pros/cons of raising a rooster from a chick, to kind of bond with the family and acclimate to the hens vs. getting one that is already 'calm'.

i am seeing that even a calm one may change in a new environment?

by 'mate effectively for life', i meant: can he continue to fertilize for as old as he gets / does his age affect how well or not he does his job ??

i know that he will not be exclusive / monogomous! lol

10. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am having the same problem now, too. I had a really obnoxious rooster before, but the one we have now is fairly calm. I wouldn't get a rooster unless you want fertile eggs or you need your hens protected or kept together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by