Rooster or not?

polenslager

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
post falls Idaho
I have four grown hens now, and have had the girls for two plus years now. They are the Plymouth barred rock type.

I would like to get a few more hens and am thinking about getting a rooster when I get more chicks.

But I have some questions! I have heard the rooster can get mean and that is a small worry. Our chickens are very tame
and nice for the most part. They are free range and go in the coop at night. I check on them and close the door since we live in the
country with woods all around.

I have lost over the two years several hens to hawks, one to a dog. (my dog
sad.png
)

So the rooster sounds like it might help as far as the hawks are concerned in warning the girls perhaps. So a plus there..

But if I have a rooster, what happens egg wise? Are all the eggs fertile? Do you have to check or "candle" them to make sure they
are not growing baby chicks? I know I know.. totally new to that part of things.

I think whether or not the rooster is mean just depends on the individual bird. I have heard of some VERY mean roosters, but then I have heard people say theirs is as sweet as can be. There are probably some breeds which tend to have a better disposition also, someone with more experience can probably help you there. You can eat fertile eggs, just collect them everyday like Stacey said, then you won't have any problems with developed eggs.

So if I understand right, if I get them everyday, ( I pick eggs twice a day) they are fine?

They don't taste or look any different?

and if they are refrigerated they don't develop further?

Exactly. You don't really even need to refrigerate - just don't sit on them.
wink.png
They need to be something like 99 degrees to develop.

Back
Top Bottom