1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Rooster or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Heron's Nest Farm, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    SO I had chickens years ago. We are now able to do it again. I am debating on rooster or no. I really don't like the crowing at 2 am. What are your reasons for a rooster? Pros and cons?

Thanks!!!! [​IMG]

2. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    there is reason, u cant be self sufficient without one.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I like having roosters because they generally watch the skies more for predators than my hens do. My hens seem more content when they have a rooster around them.
    Some cons are they can become aggressive to humans, some are rough when mating the hens, they can be loud and they crow when they want (crowing doesn't bother me).

4. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    Your rooster shouldn't crow at 2 am., unless he sees some type of light. porch light etc...... Roosters are great for the reasons mentioned.. But what I have noticed is that a flock just seems happier with a rooster running the show..... I was kind of leary of getting a rooster because of all the "mean rooster stories" I had heard..... I've had several roosters and never a mean 1... my 7 n 3 yr. old kids don't have a problem with them either.... plus they're way better lookin and fun to watch.... get a rooster...

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I agree w/ the previous posts, and I have two flocks one w/ a roo and one w/o I have to agree the flock w/ Oreo seems more settled. I will put a roo in the other flock this year. I just hope w/ two crowing roos I won't regret it.

6. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    main reason for a rooster is without them you cant get fertile eggs to hatch out your eggs will be closer to store bought eggs.

7. Heron's Nest Farm

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    LOL. That is not my goal at this point, but rather luscious eggs. I can see after the rest of the farm is up to par, working a rooster in for higher self sufficiency.

I will be posting the pics of my coop project here soon!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I think if you have a good one, he'll make your life a little easier. If it's a bad one, well at least they taste good! ;)

9. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I just think in general chickens are a lot more fun if you have a rooster. I have had chickens for under a year and I've learned so much from them. I really think a lot of that would not have happened if I had not gotten an accidental rooster. When I first discovered my rooster I was a bit upset, wishing it was a hen and thought about how to dispose of it. Now? I have another thread about wanting to get another rooster. I have a lot of respect for roosters. They are fearless, protective and I even like their crowing.

You could always get a bantam rooster if you wanted a little quieter of a crow and a little less of a threat. Hens will love your rooster. My hens follow mine like a tail. I strongly recommend a rooster so long as you are aware of their dangerous potential. I wouldn't let my nieces near my rooster. Children should be kept away but other than that they are great.

10. Heron's Nest Farm

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks everyohne for all your help. My husband made the call, saying we should go ahead and get one for help managing the girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by