1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster.... or not.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by capebird, Dec 23, 2012.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    We have what I think is a light Brahma chicken that was hatched in our coop from a fertilized egg given to us. She was hatched last July, so she's about 4 to 5 months old. She's not laid any eggs yet... and has never given me reason to think it's a rooster...
    until today when I saw her / him trying to mount one of the other hens. We've never heard any rooster type crowing from her and she's kind of a nervous nelly around the other hens, very skittish. She's also very big with really great coloring in her feathers. So..... after my rambling on here.... my question is, how long does it take for the characteristics of a rooster to show themselves. If this chicken is a rooster, should I know by now?
    Thanks

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Here's someone on BYC selling Brahma roosters. Does yours look similar to any of these?

Arrrggghhh. Just noticed I didn't paste the link...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Don't know about that breed but I know there are some that are late to develop gender traits. Even within specific breeds, some simply develop faster than others. I have also heard of female birds acting like roos if no males are around. Lots of posibilities. A picture might help.

4. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    We re-homed our light Brahma chicks at 12 weeks. I was trying to deny that they were he's but was pretty apparent. post some picks so we can see them.

5. capebird

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    thanks for the replies. I'll get a picture tomorrow and post it.

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I have a pullet that gets on the back of my silkie pullet and grabs hold of her feathers much like a roo would do, the difference is that she is there to simply peck the heck out of the silky and a rooster by contrast would be tucking its male part under the pullet's tail area to fertilize her. So climbing on the back not necessarily a boy trait. But the fertilizing part is definitely male in nature. So you can sometimes tell by that action.

My 20 week old Blue Splash Maran cockerel just started crowing last week and still is merely tapping at the girls with a claw whenever he can get near enough to them. He's not nearly as aggressive as some of my previous roosters had been. I knew he was a he long before the crow. The overly large red comb and really big legs/body were the clues.

7. capebird

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  8. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
  9. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    Sorry Rooster. In the pictures you posted you can see the saddle feathers, long pointed feathers dripping down around the tail on the Lt Brahma. If you compare it to the other bird you can see how the feathers around the tail are rounded on the hen.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by